The thought process and premise you should have behind every text is to ask yourself “what is my goal?”. Not every SMS offer is the same and your intention should dictate the type of promotion you run. A common mistake several business owners make when engaging in SMS marketing is treating all offers the same. In fact, certain deals appeal to different audiences. It’s important to properly target your messages to the desired group in accordance with your goal.
Here is our list (in no specific order) of the top 10 SMS offers you can send your customers to help generate more sales, increase traffic and build word-of-mouth marketing:
1. SPEND MORE TEXT OFFER
- Free _____ with a purchase over $20.
- Get %_____ when you spend $20 or more.
- Get $_____off when you spend over $25.
2. GET MORE TEXT OFFER
- Get one _____ free when you buy two.
- Buy one _____ and get one free.
- Free _____ with the purchase of a _____.
3. EXCLUSIVE DEAL TEXT OFFER
- Today only _____ 1/2 off all purchases.
- Pssst! This week’s VIP SPECIAL – _____
4. INCREASE TRAFFIC TEXT OFFERS
- Come in today between 5-8pm and get a free _____.
- Come in between 5-8pm to get _____% off your bill.
- Bring a friend or family member today and get a _____ free.
- Come in with a party of 4 or more and get _____% off your bill.
5. PREDICTIVE TEXT OFFER (because of a local event, weather, special day, etc.)
- Beat the heat! Come cool off with a free _____.
- Get out of the snow and come join us for _____.
- It’s 5 o’clock! Come get _____.
- Lost power from the storm? Come in and get a _____ on us.
6. CUSTOMER APPRECIATION TEXT OFFER
- Because we love our customers, tonight only _____.
- For our VIP list only! Buy 1 _____ get 1 Free! Today only.
7. LETS HAVE FUN SECRET WORD (OR SECRET ACTION) TEXT OFFER
- Say “Coffee Break Rules!” to get free _____ with order.
- Sunday Funday! Wear mis-matched socks today only, show socks and text to get _____.
- Wild Wednesday: Walk in, proclaim loudly “I Love BEER!” and show text (and ID) for _____.
8. SLOW-DAY / SLOW-TIME TEXT OFFER
- Today only – two for one _____.
- For the next two hours, till 5pm get a _____ for free with your purchase.
9. SELL A GIFT CARD TEXT OFFER
- Give a gift card to friend; get equal-value for you to use at no additional cost!
10. FREE UPGRADE TEXT OFFER
- All weekend – Buy small _____, get upgraded to a large at no additional cost!
Important: Every SMS marketing effort should benefit the customer. If the offer benefits the customer, then this will drive more business to your store.
Once you start sending out your messages, keep detail records of your offer’s success. Make a record of the number of products sold, the price at which they were sold, and the total generated revenue.
As you try different offers and keep careful records, this tracking of your
offers will allow you see what offers your audience responds to best, and provides constantly, improving guidance about how to best market to your audience.
Try some of the SMS offers above with your next text and let us know the results. Or, if you have an SMS that has been working well for your business, please share it in the comments below so we can all see.